Stupid Things I Have Spent My Money On In The Last Year
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please see the terms page.
I’ve tracked my spending before, so I’m not sure what has been different about doing so for the past few months. But now I see that my money is just getting spent on stupid ass things. Por example:
- Plane ticket for Sixx – at the time, even though I had no money, it seemed like I needed to see him. (I will argue to the death that I did – but he should have helped pay for it.) I justified this as the first of many birthday gifts I’d give myself this year.
- Plane ticket for Mom – yeah yeah yeah, it’s her birthday. But still. I could have gotten a more affordable fare, which meant longer driving time for both of us, but since she was coming during the week, I went with convenience (and didn’t consider that we’d be in a metro area anyway the day before she departed and we could have stayed one more night.)
- Plane ticket home – the trip ended up being shortened by that bitch Sandy anyway, and yes it was great to calm my crazy head, but it averaged out to like $125 a day I spent at home.
- Coach purse at Black Friday – didn’t need it. Was wandering the outlet pretty aimlessly after we got news that my aunt had passed.
- Purses from Yeswalker – REALLY did not need these. They are alright I guess, but that $50 could have been better saved, or on a wallet since the only one I have (and love <3) is from ALDO, two years old, and beginning to fall apart.
- Security deposit + rent in my last apartment – honestly there are a lot of things I missed that I should have caught in that lease agreement. Instead, I’m out almost $2000.
- Security deposit on place I almost moved into – before I moved in with Amy, I found a commune type house. I was ready to move in without meeting anyone, but happened to meet them when I went to pay my deposit, only to find that one of the new guys moving in the same time as me had just gotten out of a psych hospital. Where he was for five years. I have a mental illness, I’ve had friends hospitalized – but five years? I got a creepy vibe and opted out of living there – and out of my money.
- Sephora birthday haul
- Clothes I ended up returning – Sixx taught me a good trick. Before I hit check out, ask myself if I’m going to return any of it.
- Dental work – only stupid because I let it get this far.
- Concert tickets to see Sixx’s band – I usually end up working anyway, so why am I paying $10 for the privilege (not to mention travel and food expenses)?
- Replacement phone – I don’t want to talk about it.
- And if we’re going back a full year – it’s dumb that I wasted money on breaking a lease, that I basically gave up money from quitting a job without something lined up (I couldn’t have just suffered through at least until the lease was up?) – everything associated with that move seems now like a stupid money suck.
A Thing I Spent My Money On That Is Not Stupid: my iPad.
Things I Have Not Spent My Money On At All: late fees, overdraft fees, etc. Basically: fees. Opa!
What stupid things have you bought in the last year?